About applying for a driving licence. You need a driving licence to drive legally on South African roads. Before applying for a driving licence, you must have a learner's licence. Different licences are issued for the various categories of motor vehicle: Code A1: This is for a motor cycle with or without a sidecar and with an engine not. The classification, standardised throughout southern Africa, consists of the following groups of licences, based on the European Unified Driving Licence system: A = MOTOR CYCLES B = LIGHT MOTOR VEHICLES (UP TO 3 500 KG GVM) C = HEAVY MOTOR VEHICLES.
What you should do
How long does it take
How much does it cost
Forms to complete
Who to contact
All learner's licences, driving licence cards, temporary driving licences and professional driving permits that expire during the period that commenced from 26 March 2020 up to and including 31 December 2020 are deemed to be valid and their validity periods are extended for a further grace period ending on 31 August 2021. (Gazette 43958, 3 December 2020) Metaverse keeper / 元能失控 download utorrent.
. (Gazette 43539 of 22 July 2020)
South African Drivers Licence Code 10
You must renew your driving licence card four weeks before its expiry date. If you renew it after the expiry date, you will have to apply for a temporary driving licence at an additional cost while waiting for your driving licence to be issued.
Note: You will not be required to take a driving test when you renew your driving licence. You will undergo eye testing and your fingerprints will be taken. Alternatively, you can have your eyes tested by an optometrist and submit the report at the driving licence testing centre (DLTC). If your sight has worsened from the date on which your licence was issued, new conditions will be attached to your licence.
- Go to your nearest DLTC with the following:
- Identity document (ID) and a copy of your ID, old driving licence card or valid South African passport
- Four black-and-white ID photographs (before you have photographs taken confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require)
- Proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the of owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your residential address
- Prescribed application fee.
- All Gauteng residents should apply online for the renewal: https://online.natis.gov.za/#/
- Complete form DL1: Application for renewal of driving licence card.
- Complete the notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form.
- You will do an eye test or you can do it at an optometrist of your choice and take your results to the DLTC.
South African Drivers Licence Codes 2019
Your new driving licence will be ready in four to six weeks.
South African Drivers Licence Codes
Contact your local licencing office to find out the cost.
Licence Renewal Form South Africa
Application for renewal of driver’s licence (DL1). The form is available at the driving licence testing centre.