- Compatibility with Logic Pro 9 Since Apple released MacOS Sierra, we had to adapt our development standards to their new 10.12 SDK, leading to incompatibilities with Logic Pro 9. All our most recent instruments & effects are not compatible with Logic 9.
- Logic Pro 9 and Sierra Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:56 pm Forgive me if this has been brought up prior, but I recently upgraded my OS to Sierra and now I can't open Logic Pro 9 files without Logic crashing.
Installing Logic Pro 9 I took me about 1 hour an 10 min to do the install.
Upgrading to macOS 10.13 High Sierra will break Logic Pro X on some systems with both Logic Pro 9 and X.
Apple moved the user directory out of ~/Library/Application Support/Logic folder with the introduction of Logic Pro X.
Those who installed Logic Pro X on a new system got a new folder called Audio Music Apps and everything from now on could be accessed from this directory.
Some of us that have used Logic Pro 9 and installed Logic Pro X on that same system had instead a directory hard link created to mimic the contents of the old ~/Library/Application Support/Logic folder. This way we could access all our old custom samples and Channel Strip Settings with the added benefit of being able to work with both Logic Pro 9 and X in tandem.
Enter macOS 10.3 High Sierra.
The latest macOS from Apple converts your SSD system drive automatically from HFS+ to APFS –the latest file system– without asking, and this has at least one downside for us with the hard linked directories.
APFS does not support hard links and the links from ~/Library/Application Support/Logic and ~/Music/Audio Music Apps will break on those systems using this method of mirroring.
APFS will automatically convert hard links to Finder Aliases but those will be orphaned (I’m not sure if this is a bug in the first iteration of High Sierra or if this is expected behavior?).
This will totally break Logic Pro X since it can not find some of the content it needs to function properly.
The good thing is this content isn’t deleted from your hard drive even though Apple has hidden it. The location of the content is now inside a folder inside /.HFS+ Private Directory Data?.
This folder will have a directory name of `dir_` followed by a some digits. You can safely recover your content and move it to the expected location.
Use this command in the Terminal to reveal the hidden directory and view it in a finder window:
open /.HFS+ Private Directory Data?/
- I would first and foremost advice to be patient and not to update to High Sierra right away. Many older apps will not work, including Logic Pro 9.
- If you absolutely want or need to update you can do so without converting your system drive to APFS. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of advantages to APFS but it’s a new file system that may need a few tweaks here and there. It will also save you from some of these head-scratchers. You can use this method if you want to upgrade to macOS 10.13 High Sierra but don’t want to change the file system from HFS+ to APFS:
- Download High Sierra from the Mac App Store
- Quit the installer when it prompts you to install.
- Launch the Terminal and type the following:
'/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall' --converttoapfs NO
- Proceed with the installation.
- Another method could be to break the hard link for /Music/Audio Music Apps and for ~/Library/Application Support/Logic prior to the macOS install. This would save you the annoyance of hunting down the hidden directory after the fact.
Join the discussion in the forum >>>.
Vocalist, Bass player, and Guitarist based in Uppsala, Sweden
Audio engineer with an affinity for computers working primarily in Logic Pro.
1. Sophisticated creative tools for professional songwriting, beat making, editing, and mixing are built around a modern interface that’s designed to get results quickly and also deliver more power whenever it’s needed.
2. Logic Pro includes a massive collection of instruments, effects, loops and samples, providing a complete toolkit to create amazing-sounding music.
Features and Description
Latest Version: 10.6.3
What does Logic Pro do? Logic Pro is the most advanced version of Logic ever. Sophisticated creative tools for professional songwriting, beat making, editing, and mixing are built around a modern interface that’s designed to get results quickly and also deliver more power whenever it’s needed. Logic Pro includes a massive collection of instruments, effects, loops and samples, providing a complete toolkit to create amazing-sounding music.Professional Music Production• Record and edit MIDI or audio using a comprehensive set of editors and tools • Keep takes organized with take folders and build comps quickly with Quick Swipe Comping• Track Alternatives let you create and switch between different playlists of regions and edits on a track• Fix out-of-tune vocals and change the melodies of recorded audio with Flex Pitch• Manipulate the timing and tempo of any recording with ease using Flex Time• Use Smart Tempo to import audio and have it automatically conform to your project BPM• Comprehensive mix and plug-in parameter automation can be part of a region or track • Perform and mix from anywhere in the room using Logic Remote on iPad or iPhone• Produce simple lead sheets or orchestral scores with built-in Score editor Drum Production and Beat Making• Use Drum Machine Designer to build and perform your own custom kits• Program beats, bass lines and melodic parts using Step Sequencer• Create authentic acoustic, electronic, or hip-hop drum tracks using Drummer, a virtual session player and beat producer• Choose among 33 distinct drummers that can take your direction and perform millions of unique groovesSampling• Use Sampler to quickly create and edit sophisticated multi-sampled instruments• Import a single audio file or record directly into Quick Sampler to instantly build a playable instrumentKeyboards and Synths• Get inspired by collection of synths that provide analog, wavetable, FM, additive, granular, spectral, and modeling synthesis• Quickly find sounds or create unique new ones with Alchemy, a powerful sample manipulation synthesizer• Instantly turn a simple chord into a rich performance with the Arpeggiator • Transform simple ideas into elaborate performances using nine MIDI plug-ins• Play faithful models of classic organs, keyboards, and vintage synths Guitar and Bass Gear• Build your own guitar or bass rig with Amp Designer using vintage and modern amps, cabinets, and mics• Design a custom Pedalboard from a collection of delay, distortion, and modulation stompboxesCreative and Production Effects• Access a professional collection of vintage and modern delays, EQs and compressors• Play your sounds through a variety of realistic acoustic spaces or creative synthesized reverbs • Add movement to your tracks with a variety of modulation effects Sound Library • Over 4,300 instrument and effect patches• 1,800 meticulously sampled instruments• More than 10,000 Apple Loops in wide range of genresCompatibility• Expand your instrument and effects library with third-party Audio Units-compatible plug-ins• Share to GarageBand option allows you to remotely add new tracks to your Logic project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud• Import and export XML to support Final Cut Pro workflows• Export and share your songs directly to SoundCloud • Open projects from Logic 5 or laterStorage Requirements6GB available storage space for minimum install / 72GB storage space for full Sound Library installationDownload for MacOS - server 1 --> $199.99
Download Latest Version
Download and Install Logic ProDownload for PC - server 1 -->