If you manually try to keep your Mac tidy and clean, you’ll be wasting endless hours deleting files, folders, images, and videos. Plus there are countless places where junk accumulates on a hard drive, and those places will be very difficult to find the manual way.
- Open Source Disk Cleaner
- Best Open Source Mac Os Cleaner Software
- Best Open Source Mac Os Cleaner Tool
But luckily, there are better ways: Enter Mac cleaners!
The built-in Storage Management app is the best place to start when cleaning up your Mac. In the Recommendations tab you’ll see a number of useful options, like Store in iCloud and Empty. CCleaner Alternatives for Mac. There are many alternatives to CCleaner for Mac if you are looking to replace it. The most popular Mac alternative is BleachBit, which is both free and Open Source. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked more than 100 alternatives to CCleaner and many of them are available for Mac so hopefully you can. CleanMyMac X is very easy to use with the drag and drop feature. It is one of the best Mac cleaners and gives its users access to visual and textual information about disk usage. The interface is simple and it is easy to install. You also have the opportunity to see detailed information about a certain app by selecting it. If you're on a budget, Password Safe is an open source option. Backblaze: Unlimited cloud backup. There's some discussion in the comments about its features compared to Crashplan, so I recommend checking that out if you're considering an online backup service or have any concerns. Carbon Copy Cloner: Create bootable backups of your computer.
A Mac cleaner saves you from all this tedious cleaning. And today, millions of users benefit from affordable cleaning software to save valuable time.
And did you know most Mac users can have up to 62 GB of junk on their devices? That’s definitely an alarming figure. And this might be one of the reasons why your Mac does not run at its peak.
Now, let’s check out some of the best Mac cleaner apps on the market. Starting with the best one:
Best Mac Cleaner Software in 2020: CleanMyMac X
CleanMyMac X grabs the winning spot with its multi-faceted features and intuitive dashboard. Not surprisingly, since the developers knows the ins and outs of how a Mac works, and how it can be cleaned most effectively.
First, let me say I loved the one-button cleaning system, which mechanically cleans selected parts of my Mac. In addition to meticulous cleaning operations, CleanMyMac X also offers valuable monitoring and maintenance features, making it easier to uninstall applications. No residue files are left behind as it takes care of plugins, widgets, and extensions!
Secondly, the Smart Cleanup function scanned my Mac in less than a minute. Now that’s pretty impressive considering I have a 500GB solid-state drive! Not only is it fast, but it easily detected heaps of junk, and swiftly got rid of all types of junk files.
Another feature I like is Large & Old Files, a scan that sorts your files into different groups. This is great since you don’t have to check every folder manually to ensure thorough cleaning.
Furthermore, you can easily eliminate several broken items, old logs, and outdated caches. And it will also get rid of all localization files for the languages you don’t need. There’s no other tool that promises a more convenient way to remove broken downloads, old software updates and device backups. And you’re probably not aware of the cache files hidden in your photo library. CleanMyMac takes care of that too! Mac users can save gigabytes without ever losing a single image.
CleanMyMac X continues to dominate the Mac cleanup software industry and enjoys a strong reputation in a competitive market. The software has a free trial for a limited time. However, a single full license is going to cost you a little under $40.
Best Mac Cleaner Runner Up’s
The following tools will also do a good cleaning job. However, they may not always be as efficient as CleanMyMac X. CleanMyMac X s the only tool that completely eliminates all junk, uninstalls unnecessary applications, plus deletes any unwanted files they leave behind. And in combination with its superior features and sleek interface, there’s just no other Mac cleaning apps that come close.
But let’s have a look at the alternatives. Starting with Drive Genius 5:
Runner Up #1: Drive Genius 5
Drive Genius 5 does a great job using its optimization and de-fragging tools. The software automatically scans your system to identify malware, making it easy to get rid of duplicate files and identify a lot of hardware-related problems.
Furthermore, the cleaner software repairs most kinds of folder errors and logical files to prevent future problems. Users can explore through 3 functional modules; Protect, Speed Up and Clean Up:
- The Speed Up module offers two features: Defragment and a Speed tab.
- The Clean Up module has several different tools, including Repartition which shows you all of your Mac partitions so you can delete or organize them to free up space on your Mac. However, this feature is not available on macOS High Sierra.
- The Protect module offers functional features, such as Malware Scan to inspect all your files in search of any malware. This list is updated daily. The Physical Check feature fixes all kinds of hardware issues that could lead to any damage.
Drive Genius 5 also finds duplicates and larger files that you probably don’t need. And thanks to its Clone features, the cleaner figures out your drive configuration, in case you need to copy it’s content to a new drive. Finally, there’s a handy Repair and Rebuild features to give you more control over the cleaning process.
Unfortunately, there’s no possibility of recovery.
Drive Genius 5 is not free, and you need to make a one-time payment to use any of the three plans:
- Standard With BootWell Drive: $94
- Standard: $79
- Professional: $299 (annual fee)
Runner Up #2: iMobie MacClean
MacClean guarantees a secure, fast, and meticulous cleaning, thanks to its cutting-edge technologies and services. The cleaner features standard Mac cleaning and OS system maintenance features, but also de-clutters your Mac so you can increase your device’s efficiency. No more cleaning your Mac manually as the new Junk Cleanup feature promises in-depth cleaning by deleting all developer-oriented and unused data.
Furthermore, MacClean is a great way to shield your internet activities from prying eyes. Thanks to its quick Internet Cleanup feature, you stay protected from all kinds of online privacy threats. The cleaner removes all cookies, saved passwords, caches, and useless website data on all your browsers. Mac users can erase all traces of recently opened files, docs, apps, and web servers they have been connected with.
Finally, MacClean fixes several other issues that compromise a user’s privacy. For example, cleaning up malware so your computer is safe, and make sure there are no unwanted files and folders that can adversely affect your Mac’s performance. Helio x23.
Users can purchase a personal license for just about $30 and a family license for almost $40. You will also get responsive support via tickets or emails.
Runner Up #3: MacBooster 7
MacBooster 7 is another beneficial Mac cleaner which leaves a good impression. The cleaning app offers plenty of useful tools to identify and fix your Mac storage issues. Every tool is specifically named so you know what to expect from each feature.
First, the Scan/Fix button is accessible at all times, and the system status is blended in with the UI. However, some beginners might find it difficult to use as there’s no backup, which means all changes are permanent. Make sure you click the “>” button which is next to each category so you can carefully review the findings.
Secondly, the tool also offers an impressive Performance Boost tool. This feature enables you to shutdown low-level services so you can speed up your Mac further. There’s also a handy toolbox that features five cool tools: Duplicates finder, memory cleaner, large files cleaner, startup optimization, and uninstaller.
Mac users can delete up to 20 different types of junk files, and remove viruses and malware to protect the device. In addition to that, this advanced mac cleaner also optimizes the hard disk to improve your Mac’s performance.
These five cleanup tools can easily remove gigabytes of junk from the computer. Cleaning up and de-cluttering your Mac is crucial for Mac users who have smaller SSD hard disks. Users can also choose between these options, according to their preferences:
- Complete Remove: This option lets you remove an entire application along with its library files and system files
- Application Reset: The reset only removes customization and settings to take the application to its initial state.
Runner Up #4: MacCleanse
Next on my Mac cleaner review list is MacCleanse, another functional Mac storage cleaner which guarantees an efficient cleaning process. The app is engineered to dig through all the contents in your Mac to get rid of all unwanted stuff. And the best thing is that it does everything fairly quickly and easily.
With a simple and unique interface, users can easily choose from various options to identify and clean their devices. Since each tab provides a brief and easy to understand explanation, you know what you’re clicking on to start the cleaning process.
For that very reason, this advanced Mac cleaner software is one of the best for beginners who are not too familiar with cleaner tools. Thanks to its customization and in-depth scanning, you can easily delete useless language packs that are installed on your Mac. To a lot of users, this might not seem like a big deal. However, computer experts know how much disk space they can take.
Furthermore, you also have the uninstaller feature. While most users easily remove a program from Mac, there may be a bunch of random unwanted files and folders that are scattered around your computer. To make sure you remove a program completely, you can easily delete it using this app.
Users can opt from a variety of erasure types and upgrade to military-grade later. This is a great app to disable unwanted login items that usually slow down your system startup or hog background CPU usage. MacCleanse is relatively cheaper than many popular Mac cleaner apps and costs just about $20.
Runner Up #5: DaisyDisk
DaisyDisk is popular for its intuitive and simple interface. Not only can users view large files, but they can also delete all irrelevant data through a simple process.
When you launch this Mac storage cleaner, the first screen you will see represents an overview of the disks that are attached to your device. It mechanically displays the amount of space that is left on each of your drives. And you can easily scan your drives to identify the data that you need to delete. However, you can skip this scan and scan an individual folder as well.
The tool lets you view a unique representation of all the files on your system using a daisy wheel-like image. You also get a clever color-coding, that shows exactly how much memory is consumed by each block. While this representation gives you an inclusive overview of your disk’s hierarchy, it does not narrow down the items you intend to get rid of.
When you click on any block, it opens up into another daisy wheel to provide similar information about the particular block. This feature allows you to keep clicking so you can dig deeper into your device’s content. You can easily navigate your way in or out of the screen by clicking on arrows. Users can easily find a large file to preview and delete its content, in case they don’t need it anymore.
DaisyDisk is an ideal choice for photographers, artists, and IT professionals worldwide when it comes to cleaning Mac computers. Since all displayed data is in real-time, there’s always an opportunity to see if there’s enough space to download an HD movie or install a new game.
The time needed to scan the drive usually varies on the size, but it normally takes 10 to 15 seconds to scan 100GB of data. You can enjoy a free version or buy it for just around $10.
Who Should Use a Mac Cleaner?
The main reason why people get a Mac cleaner is because they want to reclaim storage space. But there are other reasons, and you may need a cleaner if:
- You’re a new Mac user and don’t know how to properly manage your device.
- You don’t want to clean your Mac manually.
- Your Mac frequently runs out of disk space.
However, a cleaner app may not help older Macs that are already running a lot slower than most modern devices. Remember that cleaning your computer will not help if it has some general performance issues.
How to Choose the Best Mac Cleaner Apps in 2020
Before we review this year’s best Mac cleaners, let’s briefly discuss the crucial factors we need to consider when choosing the best app for cleaning your Mac.
- Core functions: The basic goal of using Mac clean up tools is to free up storage space. That’s why you need to choose a one-stop solution that cleans all the unwanted and junk files from your computer without having to install third-party utilities. Downloading software that eats up memory is definitely a big no.
- Effectiveness: Effectiveness is another crucial factor. Sadly, most Mac clean up software fails to deliver what they claim. The best disk cleaner for Mac OS X should save a significant amount of disk space by deleting all junk and old iOS backups. And the software should also be able to identify duplicate photos and successfully un-install all third-party apps, for a thorough cleaning job.
- Ease of Use: You shouldn’t have to be a technical wizard to use a Mac cleaner app. Today, developers incorporate usability and intuitive features to ensure every app is easy to understand and use. There’s no need for a flashy or sleek user interface. All you need is a tool that comes with basic features and is easily accessible via navigation buttons.
- Cost: Who doesn’t want a free Mac cleaner? But, cheap Mac cleaning software is only great if they do a great job. Let’s face it. Paid Mac cleaner apps have more to offer to make your life easier. As pricing options vary, you can choose an app that best suits your needs and fits into your budget. Let’s take the example of CleanMyMac X which costs just under $40. However, that’s a one-time fee. Other apps may charge you an additional annual fee.
- Customer Service: What if you need to ask a technical question related to your app? Luckily, most developers and companies can be easily reached. But if a developer fails to give their contact information, such as live chat, email, or phone, it’s best to find an alternative. Most paid cleaning tools guarantee a swift customer service experience so you don’t have to wait for answers.
What Is The Best Mac Cleaner in 2020?
Hard drives are vulnerable to damage if not cleaned for longer periods. And to ensure your Mac keeps running swiftly and smoothly for years, you should use a powerful cleaning tool like CleanMyMac X to get rid of files associated with junk.
Open Source Disk Cleaner
CleanMyMac X offers a convenient one-button cleaning system, which mechanically cleans the parts that need to be optimized. And users also have the option to manually control the cleanup process.
Why CleanMyMac X is better than other cleaners:
- Best performer. Eliminated all junk from my system
- The smart cleanup feature is launched with a single click
- The privacy feature clears all data about your computer usage
- Features both Smart Cleanup and Deep Cleaning
- Offers other useful features, such as Uninstaller and Shredder
- Incredibly easy to use with an intuitive and sleek user interface
- Smart dashboard that presents all information in one place
CleanMyMac X will also be beneficial when you’re preparing your device for sale. Thanks to this software, you can remove junk with just a click. There’s no need to worry about visiting each individual directory and getting things cleaner. So, in short, CleanMyMac will help you optimize your Mac in every manner.
Best Open Source Mac Os Cleaner Software
In closing, I hope my best mac cleaning software review was helpful when you’re making your choice. I also recommend that you look around our site to learn about other online software for small business owners. For example, our CleanMyMac X review and dr.fone review articles. Also, if you have any questions about this Mac tuneup reviews or something else, don’t hesitate to send me an e-mail using my contact form.
Best Open Source Mac Os Cleaner Tool
Tim is an engineer and small business owner from Northern California. He’s an outgoing creative writer and tech blogger who has a passion for helping people and building creativity in the mind, through outstanding how-to guides, articles, and honest software reviews.